Hey Everyone! Happy Thursday!! For some reason I kept thinking it was Friday…I guess that is what you get after a couple 4 day work weeks (only because day 5 was work at home so it felt like 4 day work weeks). Unfortunately it is only Thursday, but on the brighter side, it’s Thinking Out Loud day, which I love! Thanks Spoons!!
- Announcement number 1, today is a special day because it’s 10/8 or 108, a very significant number in yoga. I actually never looked at the date in that way before, but today I am because it’s the launch of @YogaGirl ‘s (Rachel Brathen on Instagram) project, oneOeight. A month ago, Rachel kicked off a Kickstarter for support for oneOeight, setting an initial goal of $108,000. This was actually raised in the first 24-48 hours!! Now at over $350,000, there are so many other goals that she and her team are looking forward to pursue with the money raised. I backed the project and as a backer I got access to the site yesterday and it is so amazing! So many yoga videos to choose from. The cool part is this goes beyond yoga, there are 4 categories: Move, Calm, Nourish and Explore. Move = yoga, Calm = meditation, Nourish = recipes and Explore is for upcoming retreats, etc. That is just the basics. You can check out this Youtube video for a brief overview of the project. I tried out a 30 minute yoga class last night and it was challenging and fun. I know for me, this is going to motivate me to get in some more yoga classes, so I am super excited to be a member.
- On another note, Katie says it’s Hug a Fat month and I am loving having half an avocado in my salad each day, even if the avocado is slightly bruised. It is really hard to find that perfect avocado! Can you believe I never had an avocado until about 3 years ago?! I mean it’s crazy! I was never big on chips and dips. Chips without the dip for me please. But then one day my dad brought home some avocados and was making some guacamole for my sister (she loves chips and dips, we are kind of opposites). I tried the guacamole and I was in love! I mean how had I gone so long without guacamole?! I am not a spice loving person and sometimes when you buy guacamole they have hot peppers in it or something, maybe that turned me off. Making it at home was the answer and from then on fresh guacamole was a must in our house, though it barely lasted 2 days. But speaking of avocados, I know they have more uses than guacamole, but guacamole was the only way I ate my avocados for a year or so, then I would top burritos with it and taco bowls, but never eat it by itself. It took some getting used to for that. Now I can eat it by itself, in salads, smoothies, mashed with shredded chicken. It also is great for a creamy pasta sauce without using the cream (I stay mostly dairy free). I definitely love my avocados! Thanks for the Hug a Fat month Katie!
- While we are on a food topic here, banana ice cream is like the best invention ever (for someone who is lactose intolerant). It was so hard for me to give up my almost daily ice cream when my stomach started to get upset from it and milk, but the pain in my stomach was not worth it and eventually I gave it up. I can’t say I even really crave ice cream anymore because of remembering that pain, but on a really hot summer day, sometimes I wish I could eat it. Thank you to healthy living bloggers introducing me to banana ice cream and to my perfect little blender gadget to make it. Last night I tried something new, adding in some Cacao Magic to make a chocolate “ice cream”. It was the perfect dessert and no upset stomach!! I also can’t believe how many bananas I go through a week when I used to not like those either. Just shows you how you can change.
- After last week’s gloomy/rainy weather and not being able to leave my desk for lunch, it has been so nice to go for walks in the sunshine again this week. I really feel so much better than last week. I need that sun and natural vitamin D. I also need that escape from my desk mid day.
- Saturday I made a spaghetti squash, the only problem is #dinnerforone so it’s been spaghetti squash every night since Saturday and I STILL have some left. I hate to waste food, but I can only eat the same meal so many times…I also made pad thai tofu Sunday so I have been having tofu with spaghetti squash, it’s an interesting mix, but tastes pretty good to me.
- I made a stop at Trader Joes yesterday, mostly because I needed bananas (see #3), then I was waiting in line with my few items and noticed these at the checkout and had to try them. They are actually really tasty and I had to quickly close the bag and put them away before I went ahead and ate the whole thing. I love the sweetness of the cranberries and the crispy chips. Have I mentioned how dangerous it is to have your office next to Trader Joes??
- The weather is looking pretty decent for this weekend and I am excited to get some outside time and possibly head to a yoga class at a studio. It has been 2 months since I have taken a yoga class at a studio and I am really missing it. I also have to soak up all the sunshine I can before I don’t want to step out my door in the winter. Good thing my commute to work forces me to get outside a bit, even when I don’t want to.
- Tomorrow is my half birthday (not that you count that once you are 25), but I would always remember this because I had a best friend in preschool who’s birthday was Oct 4 so I would always tell her in April, oh it’s your half birthday and my birthday is soon and then the opposite in October, being her birthday and my half birthday. Just another random fact about me (I couldn’t end on an odd number).
Hope you enjoyed my little tidbits today. Have a great day!
Do you have any fun weekend plans?
Have you tried banana ice cream?
If you do yoga, do you prefer a studio or at home?
I honestly prefer a studio, but the price can add up. It is just harder for me to get motivated to stay on my mat at home and not try to do other tasks.
Sharing is Caring: