I just finished my first work from home week and we are heading into week 2. While it was a challenge at first to get connected to the VPN, once I got it working, work has been going great. I think that this has a lot to do with the fact that I have a good desk set up at home and a separate office so I can close the door if needed. Now I don’t have any children so I know that makes it a whole lot easier as well. There have been a few things I have been doing to make my work at home space feel comfortable and inviting.
- Having essential oils diffusing for the day or lighting a candle – I have been switching between Stress Away and Orange essential oils going throughout the day and it has been a nice scent in my office. I also have a couple candles I am trying to use up, so sometimes I will light one of those.
- Sitting on an exercise ball at my desk – I started this years ago with my at home desk and I love it. I think it helps me to sit up straighter as I have to work on balance (though I do it without thought now) and it’s way more comfortable than a regular chair to me now.
- Waking up at about the same time I would for going to the office – keeping routine in this chaotic time is hard, but I have found I still like to enjoy my mornings before signing onto work, so I wake up at 5 or 5:30 which is about when I would wake up for commuting to the office anyway.
- Move your body in the morning – so this is the main reason I get up early. I can’t go to the gym like I normally would but I have been doing workouts from online platforms that are 30-40 minutes and move my body in the morning. I also do a 10 minute meditation before that, so just tuning into your breath first thing to start the morning more calming.
- Enjoy a cup of tea and/or cook a nice breakfast – I personally LOVE breakfast and don’t understand how people skip it. It’s great to have time in the morning to cook up a hot breakfast, make your tea or coffee and just enjoy it before signing onto work. I have been having fun making different colorful breakfasts each day. Usually on work mornings I have an easy bowl of oatmeal, but quick oats were hard to find in the store recently, so with being home anyway I have made eggs, toast or pancakes sometimes.
- Go for a walk at lunch – fresh air does wonders right now. Last week was a bit chilly suddenly, but I still got my winter coat on and went for 20-30 minute walks around my neighborhood with Brian. Getting moving so you aren’t glued to your computer all day is good for your mental health and your body.
- Play music or a podcast – the greatest thing about being in the comfort of your own home is that you can play your music loud or listen to a podcast without wearing earbuds. Hey maybe you even take a minute or two to jump out of your seat and dance for 5 minutes, another good way to get moving in between those emails.
I hope these tips help some of you working from home at the moment. Remember to take this time to slow down and take care of yourself. Maybe pick up that book you started 2 months ago and never got around to finishing. For me, I have been focusing on stretching more on my yoga mat, taking hot baths, reading more and just relaxing.
Sharing is Caring: