Who is ready for the weekend? Yeah, yeah I know it’s only Thursday, but just one more day after today and it’s the weekend again. YAY! Speaking of weekends, I never really talked about my trip I took over the 4th of July. I wanted to visit my friend in Rochester, NY (only a 5 hr drive from me) and well my company has a plant in Tonawanda, NY which is a quick hop over from Rochester, so why not make it a work-cation <- pretty sure that isn’t a word and may not be a thing, but that is what my trip was.
So I am recapping some highlights of my trip Thinking out loud style.
- One thing I learned on this trip is that I can actually survive for 12 hours with tons of water, I’m talking like about a gallon, and protein bars (Luna Bars and my homemade protein bars saved me). This was pretty much my lunch with a Starbucks Iced Tea on the 4th and had to hold me until we had hamburgers for dinner in the Thousand Islands [oh yeah forgot to mention I drove to Rochester and then we drove to the Thousand Islands, just another 2 hours in the car, but at least I wasn’t driving and I was able to chat with my friend the whole way so it didn’t seem so long]. So anyway water and a protein bar was also my breakfast the next morning since we camped on the beach that night and my lunch when we got back to Rochester was the wonderful Tim Horton’s sprinkled donut and iced tea.
- I think I have an iced tea addiction, but only to the Starbucks Peach Green Tea Lemonade and the Tim Horton’s unsweetened iced tea (which is my fav and I blame my bf for getting me addicted when I went to school in Buffalo)
- I also rode a Jet Ski for the first time and DROVE a jet ski for the first time while in the Thousand Islands. It was pretty cool, but I was super cautious since I didn’t want to fall off and lose my contacts in the water. Next time I will just have to drive it half blind so I don’t care about falling in haha. My right eye is worse than my left, but since you are just driving in open water, I should be fine…
- My favorite thing about camping on the beach is waking up before everyone. Everyone was probably hung over with all the alcohol, but I don’t drink so I was the first one up and enjoyed walking the beach. Though with having little food, I needed to conserve my energy. What a better way than with a slow yoga flow and some meditation (maybe my longest meditation ever at almost 5 solid minutes) on the beach. I have to say I was pretty relaxed in the morning and going with the flow more.
- Sunday the 5th after getting back to Rochester and recharging with a donut and iced tea and charging all my electronics after being off the grid in the Thousand Islands (literally had no reception of sort or wifi, so I turned everything off), I headed to Buffalo to check into my hotel, which was smooth until I was waiting for a room that turned out to not even be my room…ummm how is 411 and 804 the same?!? No idea how the front desk did that…
- The first thing I did when I got into the correct room was shower, because I hadn’t showered in 3 days and I was sandy and probably smelled. Then I met up with a friend and her almost 2 year old for dinner. I went a little overboard with dinner. We went to Red Robin so bottomless fries, I had 2 baskets, and hamburger and even splurged for lemon cake dessert, which was not as good as the picture made it look, but I ate half and it was my first real meal in 2 days so could you blame me?!?
- My hotel was down the street from my alumni campus (UB Class of 2012), so I went for a nice walk around campus. Good times. Nice to visit! Can’t believe I graduated 3 years ago! I even did a 6am yoga session on the campus one morning!
- I tried to keep routine by heading to the gym in the hotel in the morning, but I did get an extra hour of sleep each day because I didn’t have to drive the gym and my work commute was only 15 minutes, so that was awesome! After working out, I got a cup of hot water from downstairs and then made oatmeal in my room that I brought. I had this awesome oatmeal station with oats, chia seeds, brown sugar and strawberries I bought at Wegmans while I was there. While my work could have paid me back for room service, it was $7 for a bowl of oatmeal and I buy oats for $2 a pound, so…I was fine with bringing my own.
- I did enjoy breakfast out on Tuesday the 7th though as I heard on the radio it was 57 cent pancake day at IHOP for their birthday and IHOP happened to be around the corner so why not?! So 57 cent pancakes plus a side of sausage came to $3.55 and I tipped $3 because I was feeling generous. That was STILL cheaper than a bowl of oatmeal from room service with tip!
- So even though I was working for 3 days at the plant, it still felt like a nice work-cation and the days flew by. I had a huge office to myself and peace and quiet for most of the day. It was great meeting people that I talk to almost daily through email and they loved having me there. Definitely hope to visit again, especially since I lived in Buffalo for 4 years for school and know people around the area.
Then it was back to reality once I made it back last Thursday. I was so exhausted. I think due to not eating enough and also just not eating as well as I usually do. The exhaustion carried into Sunday but after my 10 hours of sleep Saturday night, I was finally beginning to feel like my normal self again. It has been so nice to make my salads at home for lunch again and eat better. I may eat a similar salad daily for lunch but that is what makes me feel good and I really don’t want to eat out again for a while.
On another note, I can’t believe it’s only 3 weeks until Glow Retreat (my mini August vacation). I seriously can’t wait!!
Hope you all have a wonderful day and hoping for some great summer weather this weekend!!
Sharing is Caring: